Board index GENERAL General Topics Sid Dickens Studio and Seconds Sale

Sid Dickens Studio and Seconds Sale

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:32 pm

When does this occur, where and how can I be informed of it?

Thanks all!

Daniel

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:21 am
sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

His annual sale is in November. Its by invitation only, and unless you have a private invite from Sid himself, its reserved for locals (Vancouver) only.

Its Sid's way of giving back to the community, that supported him from the beginning.

The blocks he sells at this annual event are called "Red Backs" aka "Seconds". You will see them on ebay from time to time. The backs are painted in Red. Even though these blocks are seconds, they are very close to mint condition. I have seen many red backs, and rarely can I tell the difference.

Robin

Follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sidcollectors/131746530235106

Have a question on collecting: info@sidcollectors.com
Have an unknown item, not listed in SidCLOPEDIA: tips@sidcollectors.com

Sidcollector - Robin

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 am

If you look closely at many of the redbacks, you can see the original black paint underneath. Once a tile is retired, and the retail ordering deadline has passed, the surplus inventory are painted over and sold at the sales. Alot of this stuff is retail grade and thats why most of them look next to perfect. There are ones that are clearly seconds, tinting, transfer mishaps, etc. As a collector, you're used to handling them gingerly, but at the studio, they're piled in heaps on top of each other. Yikes.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 am

A-HA!!! :idea:

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Yep the sale seems to be where to get a lot of retireds......the last few years Gaurdians,Virgin Marys,Blessings,Xmas tiles,Heart w hand,and ohhh so many others are available......many are just tiles that were made and not sent to retailers,nothing wrong with them.

You can email Sid Inc and ask to be put on the invite list it is usually in early November.No guarantees on makeing the list though....but I have never asked.

I do own many Redbacks.....love them......a much cheaper way for me to buy tiles as I do not have a lot of disposable income the last couple of years.....damn doctors.......lol
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Return to General Topics