Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... Monaco

Monaco

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi Brian! I have a Monaco #93 tile that I purchased new yrs ago. It has always had a sticky or tacky feel to it and as the yrs. passed, I think it has gotten worse. Have you encountered this before and if so, can you fix it?
Thanks,
Kargas

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Yep sometimes humidity will do this to them.From experamenting a few years ago with some donated blocks I found that the sticky blocks react to moisture a lot more than other blocks,possible the glaze was not fully mixed and did not set up properly.

I did find a good way to fix them is Krylon Clearcoat Satin.Spray on a light layer over the tile,just a mist,wait 30 minutes then another light layer,another 30 minutes,then a little bit thicker layer over the tile for a good even coverage and it should be sealed up good as new,the hardners in the clear coat will make it nice and solid again.

I tortured the tiles I was donated and they can take quite a bit before the glaze will bubble up so do not be afraid to give it a try.Worst comes to worse you can send it to me.I am a bit behind right now as I have been down with the flu for 5 days and Cindy and Joe are now sick too.....
Hate flu and cold season.......working in retail stores does not help either.....too many people come to work sick and it gets spread around very quickly.....ick
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks Brian for your reply. Appreciate your help. After comparing my tile with other pictures I have seen online, I noticed that the transfer on my tile (where the cracks are), is rubbed off. Is that something you have seen or can repair? Actually looks abit faded too(sounds like an all around bum tile!) If not, I will try your suggestion. Should it be cleaned up before spraying with the Krylon? If so, with Dawn or ?
Thanks again for your help and hope you and the family are feeling better.
Many thanks,
kargas

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Send me a picture of the damage,the pushing of the transfer from the crack lines is fairly comman for tiles from that era. email picture to middiemama7@comcast.net and I can give you a better idea of what it needs.I use a light wash of Dawn dish soap and water with a sponge and pat them dry.

if it needs restored I can do it.right now I only have 3 here,but there are a good 5-9 more on the way soon,I gotta get these last ones out the door as the owners have been waiting for 5 weeks for two of them and the last one jsut arrived on Friday but being sick I have not started it....gonna be abusy week.....lol.
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...