Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... Heres a question for the good Dr.BZinn

Heres a question for the good Dr.BZinn

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:59 am

How did you get started with repairs and why??I always wanted to know how you figured out how to get it just so perfect??My hats off to you as I am unable to even draw a straight line let alone fix a block.I never saw on the other boards anything about how you came to be the block fixer or why you started.Your work is amazing from what I have seen and I am sure others would like to know

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:52 pm

Way back a couple of years ago I inherited my collection...........I did not love them.........and i was very poor back then.........I was in bankruptcy from my child custody dispute with my sons mother she fought me for 3 years and at the final trial got arrested fro fraud,forgery,identity theft and drugs........all the stuff I originally claimed was going on......... that lasted 3 years........and in doing so it broke us.........we lost most everything.........so bankruptcy was the only way to keep us from going under........the guardian on thecase was a crook and sued me......wehn he lost.........he sued me again........so i filed chapter 13.......

Well it was almost xmas and I decided to sell off some........like I said we had nothing.........no good furniture,clothes,car,nothing...........so I sold off about $8500 worth in a few weeks.........well by then I realised what I had done...........and i swore I would buy them all back.........

this is where the repairs came in..........my first block I purchased to start my quest was T08 Heart w hand.........it arrived shattered........the seller was shady.........and after over a week of crap from them I told them to forget it..........

So I sat at the table with a beer........imagine that........and said ok......I can fix it.........mind you it was shattered.........well I glued all of it back together and then put new plaster in the areas that were to damaged to glue together.........I had to repaint the entire tile white withthe airbrush.........and hand shade every bit of it..........

Took me two weeks to finish and it still hangs on my wall to this day.........I had posted the repair on ofoto as I went.......I had no idea if it could even be possible to fix at the time.......but I had so little money I could not afford to have to buy another one...........the rest is history..........

As of now I have repaired more tiles than many can imagine.........and have never raised the price to do so...........transfers I charge more to do mainly because they are very hard to make look right...............

Well that is the straight skinney on how it all came to be.........

Little known fact........of all the tiles made.......I have almost repaired one of each..................and have only not seen in person about 30 tiles.......I have seen almost all the entire PQ,T series,and most of the Alchemy tiles.......and short of Crowned prince and princess all the Icons.......
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Kelly,
You cannot fully appreciate how good Brian's work is until you actually see the finished product in person. Brian has done two blocks for me - one (Papyrus) with two large chips in the sides and one (Lotus) that looked as though it had been attacked by a gas powered cheese grater.

I never saw these in person before Brian worked his wonders. I bought them both off ebay knowing they were damaged (good sellers that disclosed damages and provided very clear pictures). Both times I had them shipped directly to Brian. When I got them they looked like brand new. In the case of the Papyrus I even had to pull out the pictures to determine where the repairs were.

Brian definitely has a talent.

Allen

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:19 pm

Brian:

Well, one of those tiles you sold off initially hangs on my wall, and it reminds me of you every time I look at it.

I'll not tell which one it is. It's a secret.

I recall your photos of the shattered Hand with Heart. But I didn't realize it was your first repair. :shock: There was a very good reason you received that broken tile! :wink:

Leslie

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:48 am

Glad you enjoy the tile........it is a good one...........yes the HWH was the first............some of my best work infact..........every detail is perect on it..........few tiles since then have I put so many hours into making perfect.......and I have revised my skill to the level of being able to hide damage without complete repaints of the surface.........my latest is one such tile a beautiful PQ that the face is shattered.........it is all white and there is no shading to hide the repair.......so layer after of layer of glaze has gone on the thing to make it all go away.........it is a slow process though.........I found by using Krylon Clear Gloss I can take every few layers and seal it solid.......this helps because that way if I blow the next layer of glaze I can wet sand it to remove and tile is not taken back to begining.......acrylics are soft paints till the cure........and can be a pain to mix to the right color ........I found I can trick the eye by layering several differant layers each a little differant in tint and shade...........and all together they make many facets of color.......the eye cannot tell then as there is to much to process..........

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:31 am

WOW!! I am so in awe of your talent!! Its nice to finally know how and why you became the good Block Doc.I am so glad you told us the story and my hats off to you and the misses for saving these wonderful works of art.

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks for asking this question, Kelly, about how Brian got started in repairing tiles.

Brian, I found your story so fasinating and how wonderful that it all came together for you. The sad part is I don't own one of the tiles you sold when you were down and out.

FYI: Brian has also repaired a couple of my tiles as well. I sent them to him which ended up a little more damaged, because of my lousy packing. I now know how to pack them just right from the way they were packed when Brian shipped them back to me ... lots and lots and lots of bubble wrap.

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:33 am

I have 2 tiles with big ole chips on the back that I dropped :shock: !!They arent that noticable hung so I shall just leave them be.Do tell though,what are the steps in repairing a tile???I saw pictures on the old board and cannot figure out how you go about it.How long does it take for a tile to be repaired and which one challenged you the most???I suck at anything artistic and am in awe of your talent.What does SID INC think of you doing repairs and do they offer you help.I know this is alot of questions but inquiring minds wanna know(ok,maybe just me but its so cool that you do this).

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:33 pm

The hardest tiles to repair are the ones that have white faces liek the PQ Black Heart I am doing now.......there is no where to hide the repair at so the painting has to be perfect........problem is matching the color is nearly impossible.........but I hvae some tricks.

Most repairs take me a total of 3-5 hours of work........not all at once.......a little here and a little there...........the paint has to cure 24 hours or it gets smudgy,soft ,and does not blend properly.........

Toughest repair............would be an Embrace that was shattered in half and a few odd pieces...........took me 2 months or daily work.

Also have to add the Angelic Boy to the list.......the one who was green when I got him........looked like he was from Mars and had the flu.

Most expensive tile repaired.........Madonna and the next would be Frence Chancelor.But I have done many others that are very expensive as well.

Sid has been shown my repairs and is fine with it.As long as I am not making tiles they are cool with the repairs.........and have been sent people time to time refered by them to me.........I cannot do repairs for Retailers as they have a contract with Sid Inc.

What to do with unrepairable tiles.........well make blanks of course....I am preparing to make another for my collection very soon out of a badly shattered T174 Dido........and no they are not for sale.........LOL

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:19 am

What do you make with the blanks?? Do you restore them to the block they were before??That has got to be hard :shock:

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi Brian

Thank you for sharing, this is very interesting - I have actually been in the picture gallery and I actually wanted to ask you about the 'clef' how come that is completely white?

When you talk about blank - is this what this is?
People are butterflies in the wind, Some can fly higher than others; but each one flies the best it can. Why compare one against the other? Each one is different! Each one is special! Each one is beautiful!

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 pm

I am actually curious about that one and how do you fix an alchemy or an iron tile? I didn't know if those could be repaired.
Suzy

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Way back when I started I was not able to reproduce the white in the tiles...........mind you they are not painted white......they are white plaster that gets a glaze over the top..............so I had to in that case of the Treble clef paint the entire block white to hide the damage..........then reshade the entire thing to match..........

Now I can reproduce the white tint almost perfect.........it takes several layers of glaze at different shades applied to mute the areas and make them blend.........for instance the PQ Black Heart I just send back home today took me 4 weeks to blend and then the opposite corner of the tile chipped off.......so that took a few more weeks..........poor Tom has been waiting very patiently..............he is gonna be surprised at the tile.........it looks new again........

Now for blanks.........those are made from transfer tiles that are so damaged they cannot be fixed........and the owner has donated them for me to have..........I strip the transfer off down tothe bare plaster and reglaze and shade like a normal tile..............there are only a few of these out there..........and I doubt any of the owners will share them or sellthem........

I will be doing another one here pretty soon when I get a slow week........a Dido tile came to me recently that was badly shattered and I am gonna make it into a blank..........

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:31 pm

But then what do you put on the blanks??

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:04 pm

well you know how the tiles have that brown shading around the sides..........I do that............Have you ever seent he Vanessa Williams tiles sid commishioned way back once upon a time.........they look like that..........I will have to post mine here..........give me a bit to figure it out.........I will need Cindy's help.........I am an idiot at computers and pictures........

Next

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...