Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... paint repair

paint repair

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:21 pm

I recently purchased a retired tile - Divinity - from e-bay. It's in great condition but when I received it there was a small piece of a sticker stuck to the upper left side of the front of the tile. I tried to pick it off and in doing so scratched off some of the paint. Is there any reasonable way to fix this?

Thank you!

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Can you send me picture of the damage to middiemama7@comcast.net

Depending on the damage it can be done by owner,but it may need me to make restoration.....just depends on the extent of the damage and how comfortable you feel doing it.......Brian
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Post Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you - the blemish is fairly small and I'm considering touching it up myself - any suggestions on the type of paint I should use? the color is a light beige, tan color.

Thank you

Post Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:01 pm

that is the hard part since the tiles picture is a transfer or print that is adhesived to the plaster then coated with glaze......so there is really no stock color that covers what colors are used short of the Mars Black on the backs and the Raw Umber for the shading and sides of the tiles.

As for paint I use Liqutex Acrylics and also Americana Acrylics......the LIqutex is expensive and has to be mixed with glaze and such but the Americana Paints are very inexpensive about $1.25 a bottle,so gettigna few colors to work with is cheap to do.

Some basic colors to get that I regularly use are Fawn,Raw Umber,Black,Soft white.Using those colors you can mix jsut about any shade of tan to brown and any tone of them as well.

If the damaged area is light start with a darker brown and then blend it lighter.

Now to get the surface smooth after the color matching is done I use Krylon Satin Clear Coat.Light coat and let it dry for 20 minutes and then another light coat,then 400-600grit wet sand after an hour the area,just a little.then wipe with wet sponge and let dry then apply more clearcoat....little at a time......too much at once and you can get a haze or other issues like cracking.But the basic idea is to use the clear coat to make the area level like the stock surface again.

Once it is all good and dry a day later or so you can use some polish on it,I like to use a car polish that has no silicones in it......but Pledge or other furniture polishes work fine too,I jsut use the car polish because it works well and also the polishes I use also tend to clean the tile.

If all else fails send tile to me.....Brian
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:32 pm

great - thank you for your help.
I just hung the tile today, and it is less noticable on the wall than it is when I'm holding it in my hands, so I might just leave it alone instead of the possibility of messing it up.

Thanks again for your note - it's good info to have on hand.

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...