Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... styrofoam imprint

styrofoam imprint

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 pm

I recently purchased the Butterfly tile and it was shipped to me packed with chunks of styrofoam. I live in Arizona and with the heat during shipping, one of the edges of the styrofoam left a "tattoo" of the circles in the styrofoam across the tile face. Is there any product that will safely remove the marks?

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:15 pm

that is a tough one,very comman this time of year,but fixable.

first questtion is how is your sanding and painting with spray can skills

if the imprint is on the transfer the easiest way to fix is with 1000grit sandpaper,use the kind that can be used to wet sand with water,take the sandpaper and lightly sand the area,do not use much pressure and work in like 5 minutes at a time,let tile rest,the glaze can get soft and then you have problems.this will take the surface back to aclean surface,then with Krylon Clear Coat in Satin spray a light mist over the transfer,light mist,do not spray it so the entire thing is shiney,let dry a good 10 minutes.......repeat this a few times keeping nice even coats.let dry 24 hours and then the surface can be polished with some good car wax,yes car wax,furniture polish works good too but car wax does a better job,and just like waxing a car wipe it on and wipe it off and the surface will get back that nice clean shine.......

it sounds intimidating but it is easy to do and it is hard to mess it up.......cost under $12 in materials.
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...